Cradle to Cradle certification
Another step towards green revolution
The road to a better future
The need for environmentally sustainable modes of production and a more efficient use of resources has reached the building industry, like many other sectors before it. The current transition to a circular economy drives the transformation towards materials and products that are free from chemical components capable of harming people or the environment, without lowering the high quality standards of SchlegelGiesse.
Green Economy certifications are also important for the future of the market, since several countries are starting to require mandatory environmental certification on several products.
Schlegel is certified silver
In 2020 Schlegel entered the Cradle to Cradle Products Innovation Institute Program. This innovative program promotes sustainability as a transformative pathway for designing and manufacturing products that have a positive impact.
The Cradle to Cradle Certified® Products Program is a multi-attribute, continuous improvement methodology that evaluates products across five categories of human and environmental health. A product is assigned an achievement level (Basic, Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum) for each category. The standard encourages continuous improvement over time by awarding certification based on ascending levels of achievement. Certification renewal is required every two years. Cradle to Cradle Certified® is recognized as a preferred product certification by many leading brands, organizations and sustainability standards
These are the categories for which Schlegel’s Foam Seals and Brush Pile seals have achieved silver level (download the certification to check the full list of certified products):
- Material health – Products are designed and developed through a process of inventorying, assessing and optimizing chemical materials.
- Circular economy – No more wastes: products are in perpetual cycle of use and reuse.
- Renewable Energy & Carbon Management – Products are manufactured using renewable energy.
- Water stewardship – Since water is valuable resource, watersheds are protected, and clean water is available to people and all other organisms.
- Social fairness – Business operations have to take into account all people and natural systems affected by a product manufacturing cycle.
This is only the first step towards even more ambitious goals. SchlegelGiesse, strengthened by this cultural change, plans on continuing on the path of green revolution by designing and producing new products that can satisfy the more demanding challenges of higher Cradle to Cradle Certified® products levels, as well as other certifications.
Cradle to Cradle Certified® is a registered trademark of the Cradle to Cradle Products Innovation Institute